Is the air quality in your small space less than ideal? Have you become aware of the impact of poor air on your health? If the answer is yes, it is definitely time to invest in a device such as an air purifier, and this article is the resource you just need!
Table of Contents
- In a Hurry? Here Are the Best Air Purifiers For Small Rooms!
- Top 5 Air Purifiers For Small Rooms
- Comparison: Best Air Purifiers For Small Rooms
- FAQ on Small Room Air Purifiers
- Final Thoughts
I have prepared a list of the 5 best air purifiers you can buy for small spaces, which are efficient, energy efficient, easy to maintain, and affordable. Suggested air purifiers are suitable for rooms of up/around 200 sq. ft., which is in the standard dimensions of small rooms.
When looking for an air purifier for specific room sizes, you have to look at its CADR. All these air purifiers are suitable for small rooms, and they are AHAM verified, which guarantees they have 4.8 ACH in the suggested room sizes.
Not all air purifiers are a good option for small rooms. To save you time and make your decision easier, I have compared performance, noise levels, operating costs, coverage, and affordability and selected only air purifiers that satisfy all these parameters.
In a Hurry? Here Are the Best Air Purifiers For Small Rooms!
- Levoit Core 300S – The best air purifier for small and even slightly larger rooms. It is intended for spaces of up to 219 sq. ft., uses a three-stage filtration technology, and boasts plenty of advanced features.
- Blueair 411 Auto – This is a minimalistic air purifier with coverage of 190 sq. ft. and four-stage filtration technology. It has a washable pre-filter, consumes minimal power, and is quiet at the first speed.
- Levoit Core 200S – It is a great option for bedrooms due to its exceptionally quiet sleep mode and night light features. The Core 200S covers rooms of up to 183 sq. ft. and uses a three-stage filtration technology.
- IKEA FÖRNUFTIG – This is a sleek and stylish air purifier that will complement nearly any ambiance. It covers rooms of up to 108 sq. ft., lacks advanced options, and is easy to maintain.
- Medify MA-15 – It features a dual True HEPA filter as its main selling point. The MA-15 covers rooms of up to 138 sq. ft., has a few basic features, and performed admirably in performance tests.
*If you click any of these links and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Top 5 Air Purifiers For Small Rooms
Below, I have compiled the 5 best air purifiers for small spaces, briefly explaining their main features and test results.
It is important to note that I have thoroughly tested these air purifiers and published in-depth reviews with all the necessary information you need to know about each of them. So, if you want to research deeper, I recommend reading these air purifiers’ standalone reviews on the Air Purifier First website.
Levoit Core 300S – Top Choice for Small Spaces
Levoit Core 300S Highlights
- The Levoit Core 300S covers rooms of up to 219 sq. ft. It will clean the air 4.8 times in one hour in a room of recommended dimensions.
- This air purifier uses a three-stage filtration technology: pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter.
- It has plenty of smart features, works with the VeSync app, and can be voice controlled.
- The Core 300S comes with a 2-year warranty.
The best air purifier for small rooms is undoubtedly the Levoit Core 300S. It’s a successor of the legendary Core 300 model and offers some great additions and improvements over it.
The Core 300S is ideal for rooms of up to 219 sq. ft., which is a bit larger than the size of an average small room (which is about 200 sq. ft.). It uses a three-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
This air purifier uses a high-quality True HEPA filter that will capture 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns, effectively removing all the common particles in your home, such as dust, pollen, smoke, viruses, etc.
Among its advanced features are an air quality sensor, air quality indicator, auto mode, and smart app compatibility. Furthermore, it delivered outstanding results in our performance tests, operates quietly, and consumes minimal power.
Overall, the Levoit Core 300S is the best air purifier for small rooms you can buy. However, it also showed outstandingly in slightly larger rooms, which is why I would recommend it for even larger rooms of 219 sq. ft.
|Dimensions||8.7 x 8.7 x 14.2 inches (22 x 22 x 36 cm)|
|Weight||5.95 lb (2.7 kg)|
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||219 sq. ft. (20 m2)|
|Number of Working Modes||5 – Sleep Mode, Speed 1, Speed 2, Speed 3, and Auto Mode|
Blueair 411 Auto – Also a Great Option
Blueair 411 Auto Highlights
- The Blueair 411 Auto is suitable for rooms of 190 sq. ft. In the recommended room size, it will clean the air 4.8 times in one hour.
- It uses a four-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, particle filter, activated carbon filter, and HEPASilent technology.
- This air purifier is very quiet, especially at first speed, producing a sound of 41.6 dBA.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
Blueair 411 Auto is a minimalistic air purifier with a simple design, a few interesting features, and impressive performance. This air purifier is intended for rooms of up to 190 sq. ft., making it ideal for small rooms such as bedrooms, offices, kids’ rooms, etc.
It uses a four-stage filtration technology with an addition of HEPASilent technology, which is simply an ionizer that can’t be turned off. The first filtration stage is a washable pre-filter, which is easy to clean and maintain. The second filtration stage is a particle filter, while the last filtration stage is a fibrous carbon filter.
This air purifier doesn’t have many advanced options, but it has an air quality sensor, air quality indicator, and auto mode, which, in my opinion, are more than enough for an air purifier in this price range.
During performance tests, it excelled, improving the air quality by about 94% in just 60 minutes in a 194 sq. ft. room. It also did great in a slightly larger room, which makes it a great choice for even larger rooms than recommended.
All in all, the Blueair 411 Auto is a fantastic air purifier and my absolute recommendation for small rooms up to 200 sq. ft. It’s a stylish, affordable, and highly efficient device.
|Model||Blue Pure 411 Auto|
|Dimensions||16.7 x 7.8 x 7.8 inches (42,5 x 20 x 20 cm)|
|Filters||Washable Pre-filter, Particle Filter, and Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||about 6 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||190 sq. ft.|
|Number of Fan Speeds||3 – Night Mode, Everyday Mode, Boost Mode|
Levoit Core 200S – Ideal for Small Bedrooms
Levoit Core 200S Highlights
- The Levoit Core 200S is suitable for small rooms of up to 183 sq. ft.
- It uses a three-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
- This air purifier can be connected with the VeSync smart app, has some great features, and can be voice controlled.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
Here’s another air purifier from Levoit that has earned its place on the list. The Core 200S is a small air purifier with a coverage of 183 sq. ft., 3-in-1 filtration technology, and several exciting features.
The first filtration technology on this air purifier is a pre-filter, the second is the True HEPA filter, and the last one is a pellet-based carbon filter. The Core 200S filter is cylindrical, hollow through the middle, and placed inside the bottom part of the device.
The Core 200S lacks advanced options such as an air quality sensor, auto mode, or similar, but it can be connected with the VeSync app and can be voice-controlled. It is also very quiet, especially in sleep mode, producing a sound of just 42.1 dBA.
In summary, the Levoit Core 200S is a compact air purifier that, thanks to its night light and ultra-quiet sleep mode, is my top recommendation for small bedrooms. While it can be used in any other small room, I primarily recommend it for bedroom use.
|Dimensions||8.1 x 8.1 x 12.6 inches (20,5 x 20,5 x 32 cm)|
|Weight||6.6 lb (3 kg)|
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||183 sq. ft.|
|Number of Fan Speeds||4 – Sleep Mode, Speed 1, Speed 2, and Speed 3|
IKEA FÖRNUFTIG – Best Budget Option
IKEA FÖRNUFTIG Highlights
- IKEA FÖRNUFTIG is an ideal air purifier for rooms of up to 108 sq. ft.
- It uses a three-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter.
- The IKEA performed amazingly in a performance test in a 120 sq. ft. room, improving the air quality by about 91%.
- Unfortunately, the IKEA FÖRNUFTIG comes with no warranty (US only).
The IKEA FÖRNUFTIG is a groundbreaking air purifier, primarily because it marks IKEA’s entry into the air purifier market, offering one of the most affordable options available.
The IKEA FÖRNUFTIG is a stylish air purifier, minimalistic, with no advanced options, but with pretty okay filtration technology. Initially, it uses a two-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter and a HEPA filter. However, there is a space for an activated carbon filter, which unfortunately needs to be purchased separately.
Additionally, this air purifier boasts a 19W motor and a room coverage of 108 sq. ft., making it ideal for very small rooms. In my tests, it performed well in a 120 sq. ft. room, improving air quality by 91% in just 60 minutes. Furthermore, it is an incredibly quiet air purifier, ranking among the quietest I have tested so far.
In conclusion, I would recommend the IKEA FÖRNUFTIG to anyone on a tight budget seeking a decent air purifier capable of significantly improving air quality.
|Dimensions||18.1 x 12.2 x 4.3 inches (46,1 x 31 x 10,9 cm)|
|Filters||Pre-Filter, HEPA Filter, and Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||4-6 months|
|Coverage||108 sq. ft. (10 m2)|
Medify MA-15 – Featuring Double Filtration
Medify MA-15 Highlights
- Medify MA-15 covers rooms of 138 sq. ft. It will clean the air 4.8 times the recommended room size in one hour.
- It uses a dual 3-in-1 filter consisting of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
- It has some basic features, is very quiet at the first speed, and is not that affordable for maintenance.
- Medify offers the possibility of getting a lifetime warranty by subscribing to a replacement filter directly via the Medify website.
The Medify MA-15 has earned a place on the list of the best small-room air purifiers, mainly due to its unique double filtration technology. It uses dual 3-in-1 filters, which is the main reason for its outstanding performance in tests.
Although this air purifier doesn’t offer an air quality sensor or similar advanced features, it does provide essential functions such as a timer, display lock, dimmer, and filter reset indicator.
It performed well in performance tests, especially in a test in a 194 sq. ft. room, in which it improved the air quality by about 92% in just 60 minutes working at the max speed.
What I don’t like about the MA-15 is the slightly higher maintenance costs, which are way above all the other air purifiers on the list.
However, its dual filtration system not only makes it easier to place this air purifier in a small room but also contributes to its performance, which is why I included the Medify MA-15 air purifier on the list.
|Dimensions||7.5 x 7.5 x 12.2 inches (19,1 x 19,1 x 31 cm)|
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA H13 and Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||3-4 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||330 sq. ft.|
|Number of Fan Speeds||3 – Speed 1, Speed 2, and Speed 3.|
Comparison: Best Air Purifiers For Small Rooms
|Best Choice||Also Great||For Small Bedrooms||Best Budget Option||Featuring Dual Filtration|
|Model||Core 300S||411 Auto||Core 200S||FÖRNUFTIG||MA-15|
|Dimensions||8.7 x 8.7 x 14.2 inches (22 x 22 x 36 cm)||16.7 x 7.8 x 7.8 inches (42,5 x 20 x 20 cm)||8.1 x 8.1 x 12.6 inches (20,5 x 20,5 x 32 cm)||18.1 x 12.2 x 4.3 inches (46,1 x 31 x 10,9 cm)||7.5 x 7.5 x 12.2 inches (19,1 x 19,1 x 31 cm)|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||219 sq. ft. (20 m2)||190 sq. ft. (18 m2)||183 sq. ft. (17 m2)||108 sq. ft. (10 m2)||138 sq. ft. (12.8 m2)|
|Filtration Technology||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter||Washable Pre-filter, Particle Filter, and Carbon Filter||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter||Pre-Filter, HEPA Filter, and Carbon Filter||Pre-filter, True HEPA H13 and Carbon Filter|
|Filter Replacement Indicator||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months||about 6 months||6-8 months||4-6 months||3-4 months|
|Operating Costs Ratings|
|Fan Speeds||5 – Sleep Mode, Speed 1, Speed 2, Speed 3, and Auto Mode||3 – Night Mode, Everyday Mode, Boost Mode||4 – Sleep Mode, Speed 1, Speed 2, and Speed 3||3 – Speed 1, Speed 2, and Speed 3||3 – Speed 1, Speed 2, and Speed 3|
|Air Quality Sensor||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Air Quality Indicator||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Noise Levels||41.4 – 65.2 dBA||41.6 – 61.2 dBA||42.1 – 53.9 dBA||42.2 – 58.2 dBA||41.2 – 61.1 dBA|
|Warranty||2-year||2-year||2-year||No (US)||Lifetime (conditioned)|
|In-Depth Review||Levoit Core 300S||Blueair 411 Auto||Levoit Core 200S||IKEA FÖRNUFTIG||Medify MA-15|
|Price||Check Price on Amazon||Check Price on Amazon||Check Price on Amazon||Check Price on IKEA||Check Price on Amazon|
Scroll or swipe left/right to view the whole table.
FAQ on Small Room Air Purifiers
What is the best air purifier for small rooms?
In my opinion, the best air purifier for small rooms is the Levoit Core 300S. It offers great performance, high-quality filtration technology, great price, and plenty of features.
What is the best air purifier for a small bedroom?
For a more specific place, such as a small bedroom, the best air purifier would be the Levoit Core 200S. I picked this one because it is extremely effective, affordable for maintenance, and because of its outstanding sleep mode and night light features.
Where to place an air purifier in a small room?
It all depends on the size of the room, but try moving the air purifier from walls and other objects for at least 15 inches. Don’t place it near the windows, and never place it behind or below furniture. Any other location would be pretty okay.
How much time is needed for an air purifier to clean a small room?
If an air purifier has a room coverage of 200 sq. ft. (with 4.8 ACH), that means it will clean the air in the recommended room size 4.8 times in one hour, which also means it would need about 12.5 minutes to clean the air once in a recommended room size.
This comprehensive analysis of the best air purifiers for small rooms was conducted by thoroughly examining all the air purifiers we tested here at Air Purifier First.
We selected the top five models that are most suitable for small rooms based on specific criteria such as room coverage, performance, noise levels, operating costs, and filtration technology.
In conclusion, the Levoit Core 300S is undoubtedly the best air purifier for small spaces. It’s a smart air purifier with a 3-stage filtration system, smart features, and a coverage of up to 219 sq. ft.
Aside from the Levoit Core 300S, you can be sure that any of the air purifiers on this list will satisfy your needs. If you have questions about these air purifiers or need assistance in choosing an air purifier for a small space, please leave a comment in the comment section below, and I will do my best to respond ASAP.