In a sea of cheap air purifiers, it is sometimes difficult to find an inexpensive but good air purifier. The main problem is that there are many cheap air purifiers on the market whose price goes even below $50. The tests I did on them did not show good results, and their performance shows that they are not worth buying at all.
Such devices will not significantly improve air quality. Many high-quality air cleaners range somewhere between $200-500.
Table of Contents
- Here Is a Quick Overview of the Best Cheap Air Purifiers
- Top 5 Affordable Air Purifiers
- Things to Consider Before Buying an Air Purifier
- FAQ on Cheap Air Purifiers
- Final Thoughts
So, I made this best affordable air purifiers buying guide to help you buy an excellent, proven, and effective but also affordable air purifier. Let’s get started.
Here Is a Quick Overview of the Best Cheap Air Purifiers
- Levoit Core 300 – is the best budget air purifier you can buy. It is intended for rooms up to 219 sq. ft., has performed excellently in all the tests, and is undoubtedly the best affordable air purifier.
- Blue Pure 411 – is a minimalistic, innovative, and highly efficient air purifier that covers rooms up to 161 sq. ft. It uses washable pre-filters and is one of the smallest electricity consumers of all the air purifiers I have tested so far.
- GermGuardian AC4825 – is one of the best-selling air purifiers out there. It is budget-friendly, is intended for rooms up to 167 sq. ft., and uses a three-stage filtration technology.
- Levoit LV-H132 – is one of the first Levoit air purifiers and probably the most famous one. It covers rooms up to 129 sq. ft., has a night light, is a low-power consumer, and uses a three-stage filtration technology.
- Blueair 411 Auto – this is a successor of the Blueair 411. It covers rooms up to 190 sq. ft., has air quality sensor and auto mode options, and uses a much firmer pre-filter. It uses a motor of just 10W.
*If you click any of these links and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Top 5 Affordable Air Purifiers
Below I have singled out the devices that I think are the best choice to buy if you are looking for cheap and affordable air purifiers.
I chose the devices using all the above parameters, performance tests, value for the money, and everything crucial in selecting the best machine.
Levoit Core 300 – Best Budget
Levoit Core 300 Highlights
- The small and compact device is designed for rooms up to 219 sq. ft. It also performs well in larger rooms.
- Very quiet and powerful device. An excellent choice for a bedroom, living room, or any other room.
- Luxurious look with excellent plastic quality.
- Levoit Core 300 uses 3-in-1 filtration technology.
- It does not produce ozone or anything else that could harm people.
Core 300 is one of the most popular devices from Levoit and one of the most popular air purifiers on the market. The Levoit Core 300 is a popular model from Levoit with an advanced filtration system. It uses 3-in-1 filtration, a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
It uses a potent motor that sets it apart from the competition. This motor is credited with the extraordinary performance that the Levoit Core 300 proved in the tests I did. The Levoit Core 300 is, in my opinion, the best inexpensive air purifier you can buy.
It is intended for rooms up to 219 sq. ft. It uses QuietKEAP Technology to reduce motor sound, which is why this device is very quiet, especially in sleep mode. These features make the Core 300 fit perfectly in the bedroom. But that doesn’t mean it won’t be an ideal appliance for any other room in the household.
The price of the device and the price of replacement filters are affordable. Filters need to be changed on average twice a year.
|Filtration Technology||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||219 sq. ft.|
Blueair 411 – Best Maintenance-Wise
Blueair 411 Highlights
- It has outstanding performance in rooms up to 161 sq. ft. and slightly larger rooms.
- It is incredibly economical and has an efficient motor of just 10W.
- The Blueair 411 uses innovative pre-filters available in several colors.
- A minimalistic and beautifully designed device will fit into almost any environment.
The Blueair 411 is a unique device on the market when considering its innovative design and minimalistic features. The device has only one button through which complete control takes place. It uses 3 stage filtration: pre-filter, HEPA filter, and carbon filter.
The Blueair 411 features a washable pre-filter, which in addition to being washable, can be purchased in various colors and thus blends the Blueair 411 into any room.
The device is intended for rooms up to 161 sq. ft.
In all the performance tests I did, the Blueair 411 did great. It is also enhanced with a hushed and economic motor in addition to excellent performance.
The Blueair 411 motor is only 10W, which also sets it apart from all other devices on this list. Low power consumption and low cost of replacement filters indicate that the Blueair 411 definitely belongs on this list of the best cheapest air purifiers.
|Filtration Technology||Washable Pre-filter, Particle Filter, and Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||161 sq. ft.|
GermGuardian AC4825 – The Most Popular One
GermGuardian AC4825 Highlights
- The GermGuardian AC4825 comes with a very generous 3-year warranty.
- In combination with UV-C light, standard filtration is responsible for an excellent performance.
- The device is a slightly larger consumer on an annual basis.
- Besides, the price of replacement filters is somewhat higher than average, so keeping this in mind before buying is necessary.
- It is designed for rooms up to 167 sq. ft., but proved to be effective in slightly larger rooms.
The AC4825 is the most popular model from the Guardian Technologies company and one of the most popular air purifiers on the market.
GermGuardian AC4825 uses 4 stage filtration. The first and second stage is a combination of pre-filter and carbon filter. The third stage of filtration is the true HEPA filter, while the last stage of filtration is UV-C light, which is lit at the user’s request. UV-C light is the functionality that sets GermGuardian AC4825 apart from other devices on the list. The primary purpose of this light is to kill germs and mold spores.
The device is intended for rooms up to 167 sq. ft.
GermGuardian AC4825 is a tower shape designed, available in black. The disadvantage of the device is that it lacks sleep mode, so for that reason, it is not suitable for a bedroom. Besides, the carbon filter could be a little more efficient. Still, it will very effectively remove cooking odors and other unpleasant odors found in the average household.
|Filtration Technology||Pre/Charcoal Filter, True HEPA Filter, and UV-C Light|
|Filter Longevity||up to 6 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||167 sq. ft.|
Levoit LV-H132 – Tiny And Affordable
Levoit LV-H132 Highlights
- It is a prevalent and proven device among many users.
- It has a blue night light that can be turned off or on for more comfort if you use the device at night.
- The device uses 28W. It is characterized by low power consumption and low cost of replacement filters that need to be changed every 6 months.
- It does not produce ozone and is safe to use.
- It is ideal for smaller rooms, up to 129 sq. ft.
- However, it will also perform solidly in slightly larger rooms.
LV-H132 is one of the first and most popular models made by Levoit.
The device has been on the market for many years and is a sympathizer of many users. Levoit LV-H132 is designed for rooms up to 129 sq. ft.
I would single out the night light, blue colors from the additional features. This will be a great addition if you plan to use the device at night. The device is very light and portable. It is available in white and black.
The device uses 3 stage filtration, as we already see in other Levoit devices. The LV-H132 is an exception because it uses a separate pre-filter, which is easier to clean and extends other filters’ lives.
The warranty for Levoit LV-H132 is 2 years. Of all the affordable devices I put on this list, the Levoit LV-H132 is a device that features low annual consumption and a very cheap replacement filter.
|Filtration Technology||Pre-filter, True HEPA and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 6 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||129 sq. ft.|
Blueair 411 Auto – Minimalistic But Innovative
Blueair 411 Auto Highlights
- The Blueair 411 Auto is intended for rooms up to 190 sq. ft. and will fit perfectly into a small bedroom, living room, or any similar room.
- It uses a 3-in-1 filter consisting of a pre-filter, particle filter, carbon filter, and HEPASilent technology.
- It is equipped with a motor of power of just 10W and is very affordable for maintenance.
- The Blueair comes with a 2-year warranty.
The Blueair 411 Auto is one more air purifier from Blueair that took place on this list. It is a cheap yet powerful air purifier with a three-stage filtration and an additional stage called HEPASilent technology.
This model kept some design principles characteristic of the Blue Pure series, so it has a washable pre-filter available in five different colors, but which is made of higher quality fiber.
The Blueair 411 Auto covers rooms up to 190 sq. ft., which is slightly more than its predecessor, the Blueair 411. When it comes to noise levels, it is pretty quiet on the first and second speeds, but I must say that it is a bit louder on max speed.
It is a minimalistic air purifier with just one button for control. Though small in size, it has an motor of 10W that is strong enough to help you fight any unwanted particles that may be found in the air.
I like how Blueair improved this model and added an air quality sensor, air quality indicator, and auto mode. These features make the Blueair 411 Auto a very competitive air purifier.
|Filtration Technology||Washable Pre-filter, Particle Filter, and Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||about 6 months|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||190 sq. ft.|
Things to Consider Before Buying an Air Purifier
If the budget determines which air purifier you’re going to buy, that is not a big problem today. I have singled out the top 5 best affordable air purifiers to narrow down the selection and help you choose the best one for your needs.
This buying guide relies on price as the main factor when buying an air purifier. However, you need to consider what kind of air purifiers you need.
Good To Know Before Deciding
Whether in the bedroom, living room, or maybe the office. And most importantly, you need to have the main reason for buying an air purifier.
Before buying, you need to give answers to these questions. You need to decide what kind of device you really need, and then move on to the purchase.
When performing my test on the air purifiers, I noticed that mostly the cheap air purifiers come with low quality, weak motors, and kind of small filters. Such devices usually only come with a HEPA filter and without a carbon filter. An air purifier without a carbon filter is useless against odors. Knowing that I made a list of the most affordable air purifiers for different purposes. These devices use different and innovative technologies for air purification and are intended for rooms of various sizes. All the cheap but good air purifiers on this list are costing around 100$, so you don’t need to wait for Black Friday to get a great deal!
Is Price a Crucial Factor for Device Quality?
Price is not the main factor. A high price is not an indicator that a device is good, just like a low price is not an indication that a device is bad. In my opinion, it is always better to read buying guides and reviews before buying an air purifier. When you educate yourself about the device you are buying, then the price is irrelevant.
Where Will You Use the Air Purifier?
I have noticed that most people have no idea where to use air purifiers. Before buying, it is essential to decide whether to use an air purifier in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, or elsewhere.
For example, suppose you will use an air purifier in the bedroom. In that case, the device must have a sleep mode. If you have a sound sleep, then sleep mode may not be the deciding factor when buying the best air purifier.
Assume you will use the device in the kitchen or smoking room. In that case, you need an air purifier that, in addition to the HEPA filter, also has a carbon filter to successfully eliminate unpleasant odors.
If you think you will use a device in the living room, which is usually the largest room in the house and a place where you mostly spend time. In that situation, you need a device that has the largest possible airflow.
The Cost of Maintaining Air Purifiers on an Annual Basis
In the price range of around 100$, devices are mostly smaller, have smaller filters, and require frequent filter replacement. Air purifiers usually need little energy to operate. A much higher cost is filter replacement. Since the filter is usually changed twice a year, it is necessary to pay attention to the filter’s price.
Although air purifiers are tiny electricity consumers, there are significant differences between devices. For example, GermGuardian AC4825, a high-quality and powerful device, drives a 55W motor. At the same time, Blueair Blue Pure 411 is powered by only 10W. If you convert it into dollars, a significant difference in consumption can be noticed annually.
FAQ on Cheap Air Purifiers
Does a cheap device mean poor performance?
Definitely not. The devices I listed as the best budget air purifiers are among the cheaper ones on the market. They have achieved excellent performance in tests. At the same time, they are in the range of many, far more expensive devices.
If you have decided that you want the device to achieve the best possible performance, pay attention to whether the air purifiers have a HEPA and carbon filter. This list includes air purifiers that use premium HEPA filters for filtration.
What should you pay attention to besides the price of the device?
The device’s low price can often be a trap, so it is necessary to carefully review other parameters that can increase air purifiers’ maintenance costs, including motor power (wattage) and the cost of replacement filters, and how often filters need to be changed.
What should every air purifier have?
In my opinion, you should not buy devices that only have a HEPA filter without a carbon filter. The reason is that the carbon filter neutralizes unpleasant odors in the household, so it will drastically improve air quality in combination with the HEPA filter.
I have presented a list of the best cheap air purifiers in this buying guide. I analyzed the devices for a while and decided to put them on the list of good enough devices and of good quality to satisfy most users.
Although air purifiers are a luxury for many users, they should not be. With the advent of great competition, the prices of devices in the markets are falling, so you can get high-quality and efficient devices for less money.
In my opinion, the best inexpensive air purifier you can currently buy on the market is the Levoit Core 300. Right behind it, I would single out the Blue Pure 411 air purifier. However, if you opt for any other device from the list, you will not go wrong.
Assume you want to explore more about the shown devices. In that case, you can find individual reviews on the Air Purifier First website, as well as video reviews available on the Air Purifier First YouTube channel. If you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, please leave a comment in the box below, and I will be happy to answer.