Air purifiers are well-known for their ability to remove dust, allergens, and bacteria from the air. But did you know they’re also highly effective in eliminating pollen, dust mites, VOCs, and other airborne irritants that can trigger asthma symptoms?
Table of Contents
- In a Hurry? Here Are the Best Air Purifiers For Allergies!
- 5 Best Air Purifiers For Allergies
- How to Choose an Air Purifier For Allergies?
- What is Better for Allergies – Humidifier or Air Purifier?
- Why Are Allergies Such a Problem?
- Benefits of Air Purifier for Allergies
- Top 5 Air Purifiers For Allergies – Video Review
- FAQ on Air Purifiers For Allergies
- Final Conclusion
Investing in an air purifier is the easiest way to fight indoor airborne allergens. Such a device, equipped with an appropriate True HEPA filter, will capture 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns. This includes dust mites, the small airborne particles they create, and airborne pollen particles. For reference, the average size of dust mites is about 200-300 microns, while the pollen size varies from 10 to 100 microns.
However, there are many other airborne allergens in the air, so deciding on which air purifier to buy in order to capture all these can be tricky. That’s why we’ve created a list of the top five air purifiers for allergies to help you decide and make your home healthier.
In a Hurry? Here Are the Best Air Purifiers For Allergies!
- Levoit Core 400S – A smart air purifier with advanced 3-stage filtration technology, including a True HEPA filter. Highly effective in fighting allergies and suitable for rooms up to 403 sq. ft.
- Coway AP-1512HH – A high-quality air purifier with four-stage filtration technology, including a True HEPA filter. Excellent at capturing airborne pollen and pet dander allergens, and suitable for rooms up to 361 sq. ft.
- Winix 5500-2 – A top choice for combating VOC allergens, thanks to its high-quality pellet-based carbon filter. Uses four-stage filtration technology, including a True HEPA filter, and covers rooms up to 360 sq. ft.
- Blueair 211+ – An ideal air purifier for large dusty areas due to its powerful airflow and high-quality filtration technology. Suitable for rooms up to 540 sq. ft.
- Levoit Core 300 – An affordable air purifier with 3-stage filtration technology, including a True HEPA filter. Effective at fighting allergies and suitable for rooms up to 219 sq. ft.
*If you click any of these links and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
5 Best Air Purifiers For Allergies
Choosing an air purifier for allergies can be challenging, requiring thorough research before hitting that “checkout” button. The most important aspect is, of course, the filtration technology. The air purifier must have a proper True HEPA filter and a high-quality carbon filter to fight allergies efficiently.
However, many other parameters should be considered, such as CADR, features, price, power usage, noise levels, and performance. I have been testing air purifiers since 2016 and have evaluated many of them. The performance testing procedure at Air Purifier First is comprehensive and involves various situations and individuals. For this specific article, my brother, a significant allergy sufferer, contributed to selecting the best air purifier for pollen allergy. If you’d like to read more about our testing procedure, please refer to the about us page.
Below is the list of the five best air purifiers for allergies based on numerous tests, evaluations, and allergy types.
Levoit Core 400S – Best Overall For Allergies
Levoit Core 400S Highlights
- The Levoit Core 400S is a smart air purifier that covers rooms up to 403 sq. ft.
- The Core 400S is very effective in the fight against allergies, thanks to its high-quality 3-in-1 filter.
- In performance tests, this air purifier improved air quality by around 96% in a room of 320 sq. ft.
- Levoit offers a 2-year warranty on this model.
The Levoit Core 400S is overall the best air purifier for allergy sufferers. This air purifier uses a 3-in-1 filter consisting of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. The most important filtration stage of this device is the True HEPA filter, which removes 99.97% of pollutants down to 0.3 microns in size. This means that the Levoit Core 400S removes airborne particles such as pollen, dust, dust mites, pet allergens, and more.
Additionally, the Core 400S air purifier has many advanced options, including a built-in air quality sensor, an air quality indicator, an auto mode option, and the ability to connect to the VeSync smart app.
In our performance tests, the Core 400S performed exceptionally well. It improved the air quality by about incredibly 96% in a 320 sq. ft. This is also a very quiet air purifier that is easy to use and affordable to maintain annually.
Considering all the testing results, the Levoit Core 400S is undoubtedly the best air purifier for combating various airborne allergies and our absolute recommendation. It’s efficient, affordable, and easy to use!
|Filtration Technology||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||403 sq. ft.|
Coway AP-1512HH – Best For Pollen & Pet Dander
Coway AP-1512HH Highlights
- The Coway AP-1512HH covers rooms of up to 361 sq. ft. In a room of the recommended size, it will clean the air 4.8 times in one hour.
- It uses high-quality four-stage filtration technology.
- The True HEPA filter on the Coway removes 99.97% of airborne particles of up to 0.3 microns in size.
- The Coway AP-1512HH is a fantastic option for combating pollen and pet dander.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
I tested the Coway AP-1512HH more than two years ago, and since then, it has found its place in many recommendations here on the Air Purifiers First. This air purifier showed excellent results in tests, especially those related to pollen allergies, performed by my brother (who is allergic to pollen).
The Coway AP-1512HH also displayed outstanding results in places with pets, thanks to its mesh pre-filter that effortlessly traps pet hair and its overall great filtration technology that easily removes pet dander. The Coway’s pre-filter is washable and easy to clean.
This air purifier covers rooms of up to 361 sq. ft.; it uses a four-stage filtration technology and has some impressive features. It uses a high-quality True HEPA filter, which removes 99.97% of airborne particles up to 0.3 microns in size, capturing almost all known indoor allergens.
In performance tests, it improved the air quality by an incredible 96% in a 320 sq. ft. room. This is the same result as for the Levoit Core 400S, which is not surprising since we included only top-performing air purifiers on this list.
What I particularly like about this air purifier is its air quality sensor, auto mode, and ECO mode. However, it could has a better-optimized motor, as the 77W is too high for the airflow provided.
Overall, if you’re looking for an air purifier to help you eliminate airborne allergen particles, especially pollen and pet dander, the Coway AP-1512HH is our absolute recommendation.
|Filtration Technology||Pre-filter, Deodorization Filter, True HEPA Filter, and Ionizer|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||361 sq. ft.|
Winix 5500-2 – Best For VOCs Allergies
Winix 5500-2 Highlights
- The Winix 5500-2 is suitable for rooms of up to 360 sq. ft. It will clean the air 4.8 times in one hour in a room of recommended size.
- It uses a high-efficiency four-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and PlasmaWave.
- This air purifier is the best option for combating VOC allergies, especially because of its high-quality pellet-based carbon filter.
- The Winix 5500-2 comes with a 2-year warranty.
The Winix 5500-2 is one of the best air purifiers I have tested so far. It features outstanding four-stage filtration technology, consisting of a washable pre-filter, washable activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and PlasmaWave technology.
Its True HEPA filter is highly effective and will capture 99.97% of airborne particles up to 0.3 microns in size. However, the main strength of this air purifier lies in its pellet-based carbon filter, which is capable of adsorbing harmful VOCs from the air and neutralizing unpleasant odors.
Exposure to VOCs is linked to allergic reactions and asthma. Certain VOCs, such as formaldehyde or PGEs, can trigger these reactions, which is why maintaining indoor air with low VOC levels is MUST! An air purifier such as the Winix 5500-2 can help remove VOCs from the air.
Another impressive feature of the Winix 5500-2 is its odor detection sensor that works with an air quality indicator, which changes colors based on the current concentration of odors/gases in the air. However, this indicator doesn’t present data in a fancy way, prompting me to use devices like the Awair Element or Airthings Wave air quality monitors. These devices offer more reliable sensors and display the data in a visually appealing way.
The Winix 5500-2 performed amazingly in our performance tests; it improved the air quality by about 96% in just 60 minutes, operating at maximum speed. Interestingly, this model, the Coway AP-1512HH, and the Levoit Core 400S achieved exactly the same results in the performance tests.
In conclusion, the Winix 5500-2 is an outstanding air purifier that could easily be at the top of the list. However, thanks to its high-quality, washable pellet-based carbon filter, this air purifier is our top choice for combating VOC allergens in the air.
|Filtration Technology||Washable Pre-filter, Washable AOC Carbon Filter, True HEPA Filter, and PlasmaWave|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||360 sq. ft.|
Blueair 211+ – Best For Large Dusty Areas
Blueair 211+ Highlights
- The Blueair 211+ is suitable for large rooms of up to 540 sq. ft., making it a great choice for small apartments, large living rooms, or similar places.
- It uses a four-stage filtration technology consisting of a washable pre-filter, particle filter, activated carbon filter, and HEPASilent technology.
- The Blueair 211+ is an ideal air purifier for large dusty areas due to its powerful airflow and high-quality filtration technology.
- Blueair offers a 2-year warranty for this model.
The main characteristic of the Blueair 211+ is its impressive airflow. It covers rooms up to an incredible 540 sq. ft., making it the most powerful air purifier on the list and definitely the best one for large rooms.
This Blueair model uses a four-stage filtration technology, which includes a washable pre-filter, particle filter, carbon filter, and HEPASilent technology. The fibrous pre-filter effectively captures large dust particles and is extremely easy to clean. The Particle Filter is effective in capturing small airborne particles such as dust, pollen, smoke, and similar. Although I expected slightly better performance in odor neutralization, I am delighted with this air purifier’s performance.
It improved the air quality in a 560 sq. ft. room by about 92% in just 60 minutes while working at maximum speed. In addition to this test, I also tested its performance in a 320 sq. ft. room, where it improved air quality by about 96% in 60 minutes.
It’s important to mention that the Blueair 211+ is a minimalist air purifier without advanced features. It only has a filter reset indicator.
Overall, due to its powerful airflow and large filters, the Blueair 211+ is capable of capturing huge amounts of dust, making it our top pick as the best air purifier for dust allergies. Specifically, I recommend this air purifier for large, dusty places.
|Filtration Technology||Washable Pre-filter, Particle Filter, Carbon Filter, and HEPASilent|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||540 sq. ft.|
Levoit Core 300 – Best Budget Option
Levoit Core 300 Highlights
- The Levoit Core 300 is a small air purifier that covers 219 sq. ft. rooms.
- It uses 3-stage filtration technology and has a True HEPA filter, which is very effective in fighting allergies.
- The Core 300 scored fantastic results in the performance test, improving air quality by approximately 93% in 194 sq. ft.
- Levoit provides a 2-year warranty on the Core 300 air purifier.
The Levoit Core 300 is another model from Levoit on the list of best air purifiers for allergies. It is a slightly smaller air purifier that covers rooms up to 219 sq. ft. However, like the Core 400S mentioned above, this model uses a 3-in-1 filter consisting of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
The Levoit Core 300 doesn’t have many advanced options, but it performs exceptionally well in all tests. In addition, it uses a True HEPA filter and is very affordable, especially for maintenance. The filter is cylindrical, recessed through the middle, and lasts between 6-8 months on average. Additionally, I like the ability to buy different filter options designed for different conditions. For example, if you have a problem with pet allergies, you can buy a filter primarily intended to neutralize pet odors.
By design, it is almost identical to the previously mentioned Levoit. In fact, you could hardly distinguish them. However, the 400S is made for more demanding users, while the Core 300 is a simple-to-use air purifier that many people prefer.
In conclusion, the Levoit Core 300 is the best affordable air purifier you can buy to combat allergies.
|Filtration Technology||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Room Coverage (4.8 ACH)||219 sq. ft.|
How to Choose an Air Purifier For Allergies?
Like other indoor pollutants, airborne allergens can trigger your symptoms. Fortunately, there are numerous air purifiers on the market designed to effectively remove airborne allergens and pollutants from the air. These devices utilize highly efficient filtration technologies to capture and eliminate allergens that can worsen your allergies.
Air purifiers come with various filtration technologies, price ranges, and features. When searching for the best air purifier for allergies, it’s essential to focus on models with prominent allergy-reducing features, such as True HEPA filtration.
All of the air purifiers mentioned above excel at their tasks and will undoubtedly help you combat allergies. They all feature filters designed to remove the majority of known allergens from the air. However, if you’re looking for the best option, the Levoit Core 400S is an exceptional choice for maintaining allergen-free indoor air.
What is Better for Allergies – Humidifier or Air Purifier?
An air purifier and humidifier combo device is likely the most comprehensive solution for filtering air and maintaining optimal humidity levels in one unit. Both types of devices offer their own set of benefits and drawbacks, making it challenging to determine which is the best choice for your allergy needs.
But if you’re seeking an affordable and effective option for allergy relief, an air purifier is the way to go. These devices are highly efficient at removing airborne allergens from your home and are commonly used in hospitals due to their proven success in eliminating allergens from the air.
Why Are Allergies Such a Problem?
A significant part of the population suffers from allergic rhinitis or hay fever. These individuals are sensitive to various allergens such as pollen, dust, pet dander, or other airborne substances that can enter their lungs or come into contact with their skin. While we might wish for immunity, some people are born with a genetic predisposition to develop allergies.
As more people are exposed to allergens in outdoor and indoor environments, their vulnerability to these common airborne contaminants will likely continue to increase.
Common Symptoms of Allergies
- Stuffy nose and mucus production
- A runny nose
- Irritated eyes
- Eye Irritation and Conjunctivitis
- A Red, Itchy Rash
- Other Rashes
- Puffy, Swollen face and Lips
- Swelling in the Throat of Mouth
- Swelling of Eyes
- Blue Skin or Lips
These symptoms are typically allergic reactions, and people with allergies often experience similar issues. Instead of attempting to diagnose an allergy, the goal should be to find the most effective way to reduce or eliminate allergens, which can be challenging for those with unpredictable and unexpected flare-ups.
Common Types of Indoor Allergies
- Dust Allergy: Dust is a common allergen found in homes. To reduce exposure, keep your home clean, use an air purifier, and regularly wipe down floors and furniture.
- Pollen Allergy: For people with severe pollen allergies, reducing pollen exposure is crucial in controlling allergy symptoms.
- Pet Dander Allergy: Air purifiers can help with pet dander, but the best solution is to remove pets from the house to reduce dander and keep allergic reactions under control.
- Mold Spore Allergy: To effectively remove mold spores from the air, use an air purifier with True HEPA filtration, and consider using a dehumidifier to reduce moisture levels.
- Smoke Allergy: Inhaling smoke can cause allergic reactions such as coughing, breathing problems, and swelling. It is crucial for everyone, including healthy individuals, to avoid smoke exposure.
- VOC and Gas Allergy: Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and gases can cause allergic reactions and pose immediate health risks. It’s best to choose an air purifier with a carbon filter to combat VOC allergens.
- Other Allergens: Various other airborne allergens can be found at home, making it essential to use an air purifier to remove them effectively. People can be allergic to various substances, so addressing these allergens is crucial for a healthy living environment.
Benefits of Air Purifier for Allergies
Having an air purifier in your home not only removes dust, allergens, and other contaminants but also provides you with exceptionally clean air.
Air purifiers are known to eliminate airborne particles that trigger allergic reactions, as well as those that cause asthma and respiratory issues. This is increasingly important as more people experience asthma and allergy problems.
Top 5 Air Purifiers For Allergies – Video Review
In this in-depth video review, we reveal the top 5 air purifiers for allergies.
FAQ on Air Purifiers For Allergies
Is an air purifier good for allergies?
Of course, it’s good. An air purifier is a good investment, as it not only cleans the air in your home but also eliminates airborne particles that often cause allergies.
Is an air purifier good for allergic rhinitis?
According to the National Library of Medicine’s Air Purification Program, numerous reports show that air purifiers benefit patients with allergic rhinitis (AR).
Are air purifiers good for allergies and asthma?
Absolutely! In addition to the many studies showing that air purifiers help reduce asthma symptoms, I have received a lot of feedback from users who have asthma problems and have been helped by an air purifier.
Can air purifiers make allergies worse?
In fact, they should not. However, air purifiers that use an ionizer or similar filtration technology are likely to worsen allergies.
Are air purifiers good for pet allergies?
Of course, they are good! The right HEPA air purifier helps remove larger-sized particles such as pet dander, preventing pet allergies.
To summarize, an air purifier can help prevent allergies by removing all known airborne particles, as well as significantly improving the overall air quality in your home.
After conducting a thorough analysis, I have identified the top 5 air purifiers for combating allergies. Among the devices on the list, the Levoit Core 400S stands out as the top recommendation, followed closely by the Coway AP-1512HH.
However, all other air purifiers on the list are also highly efficient, and you won’t go wrong with whichever you choose.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this topic, please leave a comment in the comment box below.