Many pet owners experience problems such as red eyes, stuffy noses, and the like, as well as severe allergies to pets. Buying an air purifier is one of the best solutions to problems with pet allergies, pet dander, and pet hair.
Various studies, user experiences as well as personal experiences show that air purifiers help against pet allergies, and not only that, you will notice much less pet hair, pet fur, and other odors in the environment with an air purifier.
Table of Contents
- In a Hurry? Here Are the Best Air Purifiers For Pets!
- Top 5 Air Purifiers For Pets
- FAQ on Best Air Purifiers For Pets
- Final Conclusion
For this article, I have chosen the best air purifiers for pets based on real-life tests in an environment with cats, a lion-headed bunny, and budgies. The most important conclusions I made from these tests are that using an air purifier reduces allergies and makes it easier to breathe when there are budgies in the room, there is also less rabbit hair in the room, and there is also a drastic reduction in lousy smell from the cat, especially when I place the device near the cat’s litter box.
In short, an air purifier helps neutralize unpleasant odors and reduce the impact of allergies. However, remember that even though these devices have their limits, do not expect a miracle. By buying an air purifier for pets, you should not neglect the regular hygiene maintenance in the room where you have your pet.
In a Hurry? Here Are the Best Air Purifiers For Pets!
- Levoit Core 400S – is the best pet air purifier you can buy. It is designed for rooms up to 403 sq. ft., uses high-quality filters, and effectively helps if you have pet allergies, pet fur, pet hair, pet dander, and similar problems.
- Coway AP-1512HH – this is also a very efficient air purifier that covers rooms up to 361 sq. ft. It uses a high-quality pre-filter that is easy to use, washable, and makes Coway the best choice to fight pet hair.
- Alen FLEX – is the ultimate air purifier with exceptional quality carbon filters. It cleans rooms up to 300 sq. ft., uses 3-stage filtration technology, and is the ideal choice to fight pet dander and odors.
- Honeywell HPA300 – this air purifier uses as many as 3 True HEPA filters, which are incredibly high-quality and the best choice for fighting pet allergies. On top of all this, Honeywell provides a 5-year warranty.
- Levoit Core P350 – it is the best low-cost air purifier for pets. It covers rooms up to 219 sq. ft., uses 3-stage filtration technology, and works well in rooms with pets.
*If you click any of these links and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Top 5 Air Purifiers For Pets
I will present a list of the 5 best air purifiers for pets you can buy on the market. I have selected several devices with different prices, characteristics, specifications, and filtration technologies. Keep on reading to find out which specifications you should pay attention to, which features make an air purifier the best choice to buy, and many other suggestions and tips regarding air purifiers for pets.
Levoit Core 400S – Best Choice Overall
Levoit Core 400S Highlights
- Levoit Core 400S is designed for rooms up to 403 sq. ft.
- This air purifier uses 3-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter.
- In performance tests, the Core 400S improved air quality by approximately 96% in a 320 sq. ft. room within 60 minutes.
- Levoit Core 400S is 100% ozone-free and entirely safe to use.
- Levoit provides a 2-year warranty on this model.
I like the Levoit Core 400S because it has high-quality filtration technology, long-lasting filters, high airflow, and many advanced options.
I would like to point out that this model has a very high-quality filtration consisting of 3 stages. The first stage is an easy-to-clean nylon mesh pre-filter, where you will most often notice pet hair and similar larger particles. The True HEPA filter is the second stage of filtration. This is the most crucial stage as it successfully helps combat pet allergies and dander. The final stage is the activated charcoal filter which helps to neutralize pet odors.
In addition to the high-quality filtration technology, the Levoit Core 400S boasts many advanced options. I particularly like the air quality sensor, air quality indicator, auto mode, and smart app options. All these options will make your daily use of the device easier, allowing you to automate the air purifier to keep the quality of your room at the highest level. Another fantastic and exciting feature Levoit put into this device is voice control. You can simply talk to the device and command it with your voice.
What I would also like to mention about this model are the very low power consumption, the affordable filter price, and the modern design. The Levoit Core 400S is the best air purifier you can buy for pets. I am sure it will reduce pet allergies, pet dander, pet fur, and pet hair, as well as neutralize many other pollutants.
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and Activated Carbon filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||403 sq. ft.|
|Noise Ranges||42.1 – 59.9 dBA|
Coway AP-1512HH – Best For Pet Hair
Coway AP-1512HH Highlights
- The Coway AP-1512HH covers rooms up to 360 sq. ft. and has proven ideal in slightly larger rooms.
- It uses four-stage filtration technology: a washable pre-filter, carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and ionizer.
- In performance tests, it improved air quality by around 96% in just 60 minutes at maximum speed.
- Coway offers a 3-year warranty on this model.
The Coway AP-1512HH is another excellent quality air purifier that has made the list of the best devices for pet owners. This air purifier is designed for spaces up to 360 sq. ft., uses 4-stage filtration, and has many advanced options. I really like the washable pre-filter, which is of metal construction that efficiently stops pet hair and, best of all, is easy to wash and maintain. In addition, I would like to point out the extremely high-quality True HEPA filter that Coway can brag about.
Some users may be annoyed by the ionizer, but remember that this option is turned off by default, meaning you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. In addition, Coway is CARB certified, which means it does not produce illegal amounts of ozone and is entirely safe to use.
Among the advanced options on this model, I would highlight the air quality sensor, the air quality indicator, the ability to adjust the sensor’s sensitivity, and the inevitable auto and ECO modes. All in all, the Coway AP-1512HH is a fantastic air purifier; pet owners, in particular, will be happy with the purchase. It neutralizes pet odors and removes pet dander, pet hair, and other pet allergens from the air.
|Filters||Pre-filter, Deodorization Filter, and True HEPA Filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||361 sq. ft.|
|Noise Ranges||41.4 – 63.5 dBA|
Alen FLEX – Best For Dander and Pet Odors
Alen FLEX Highlights
- Alen FLEX covers spaces up to 300 sq. ft. and has worked very well in slightly larger rooms.
- In a 540 sq. ft. room, Alen FLEX improved the air quality by an incredible 94%. This is thanks to the high-quality three-stage filtration technology.
- It does not need much electricity and uses affordable but durable filters.
- Alen offers the possibility to activate a generous lifetime warranty on this model.
The Alen FLEX is a premium air purifier, and it’s definitely a high-quality device with filtration technology that’s just remarkable.
This air purifier uses a three-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. This model is characterized by a high-quality carbon filter made of carbon pellets. The Alen FLEX has the option to buy three different filters, the difference being the number of carbon pellets. For example, the most massive carbon filter contains as much as 2+lbs of carbon.
Alen FLEX has an excellent modern design. The fantastic design allows this device to be put in almost any environment. Thanks to stylish multiple color options, you can really play with it and pick the best choice for your room.
What I like about the Alen FLEX is that it’s also very quiet, so it can run at higher speeds without being obtrusive or making a lot of noise. What I would change with this model is the lack of an air quality sensor indicator and the option of an automatic mode. In essence, the Alen FLEX is a fantastic air purifier that has proven itself best at neutralizing odors and pet hair and will also effectively combat other problems caused by your pets.
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||9-12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||300 sq. ft.|
|Noise Ranges||41.2 – 53.7 dBA|
Honeywell HPA300 – Best For Pet Allergies
Honeywell HPA300 Highlights
- The Honeywell HPA300 covers rooms up to 465 sq. ft.
- This air purifier uses a 3-stage filtration system consisting of a pre-filter, carbon filter, and a true HEPA filter.
- This is a minimalist air purifier but with high-quality filtration.
- It is very effective for people who have problems with pet allergies.
- Honeywell offers a generous 5-year warranty on this model.
The Honeywell HPA300 is another air purifier that deserves its place on the list. It is one of the more popular and newer air purifiers on the market, especially because it lasts a very long time and has a base of countless satisfied users.
What I personally like about this model is that it uses a whopping 3 True HEPA filters, making it one of the best air purifiers you can buy for pet allergies. This model covers large spaces, looks old-fashioned, doesn’t have many advanced options, but is very efficient and reliable.
It is available in black and white, which makes it easy to combine and fit into different environments. However, if you have a modern room with top technology devices like OLED TV and LED lights, putting Honeywell HPA300 into that room may stand out. On the bright side, if you have a retro room, this device will fit perfectly.
I would recommend the Honeywell HPA300 to pet owners with problems with pet allergies.
|Filters||Pre-filter + Charcoal Filter, and True HEPA Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||465 sq. ft.|
Levoit Core P350 – Best Budget Option
Levoit Core P350 Highlights
- This air purifier covers spaces up to 219 sq. ft.
- The Levoit Core P350 benefits from a 3-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter.
- This Levoit uses very little electricity, is affordable, and is definitely the best budget air purifier.
- Levoit gives a warranty of 2 years on this model.
In fact, if you have met the Levoit Core 300, you are almost entirely familiar with the P350, which has been redesigned for pets but has nearly the same features as its predecessor. This air purifier does not have many advanced options or at least enough options for normal daily use. Of the options, I am pleased with the pet lock, which can close the touch panel from accidental pressure from your pet.
The Levoit Core P350 benefits from a 3-in-1 filter comprising a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter. This Levoit is a small air purifier that easily finds its place in almost any place in your home. However, being small also means this device is not for large rooms. You will need to pick a larger air purifier for a large room. Still, if you want to use it on a desk, then that is an ideal spot with this little device. That way, you can always enjoy fresh air free from pet allergens when sitting at the desk.
Levoit Core P350 is the best budget air purifier for pets, and I am sure you will not find a better cheap air purifier for this purpose.
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||219 sq. ft.|
FAQ on Best Air Purifiers For Pets
Do air purifiers help with pet allergies?
Of course! Air purifiers are excellent at removing fine particles and certainly reduce the impact of pet allergies on humans while potentially neutralizing asthma triggers that originate from pets.
Which air purifier is best for pet hair?
In fact, all the air purifiers on the list are very effective at removing pet hair from the air, but I would consider the Coway AP-1512HH to be the best choice, mainly because of its very practical pre-filter.
How to choose the best air purifier for pet allergies?
The most important factor in choosing an air purifier for pet allergies is whether the device uses a True HEPA filter. The fact is that all the devices I have mentioned use a True HEPA filter, which means that they are all very effective in fighting allergies, but I would choose the Honeywell HPA300 as the best choice, mainly because it has three True HEPA filters.
Do I need to change the filters more frequently if I use the air purifier for pets?
Given the number of pollutants, pet hair, and other particles that are much more common in pet environments, it is very certain that you will need to change your filters a little more often than usual.
The purchase of an air purifier is something that drastically changes life for the better, and I think it is one of the better decisions that can be made, especially if you have pets running in your house. Air purifiers not only can neutralize allergies, pet dander, pet odor, and other pollutants, but they can also remove pet hair from the air and thus make your environment much cleaner.
In this list of the 5 best air purifiers for pets, you will find different devices with different features designed for rooms of different dimensions. However, if I had to choose the best device to buy, it would definitely be the Levoit Core 400S, while the next best would be the Coway AP-1512HH.
If you have any questions or concerns about any of the devices on the list or about purchasing an air purifier for pets in general, please leave a comment in the comments box below.