As the wildfire season has become a new typical in recent years, even households not directly affected by fires can feel the effects of this phenomenon, as strong winds can carry smoke and harmful particles into your home several miles away from fire.
For all these reasons, many people impacted by this phenomenon, particularly the highly sensitive and those with health problems, are seeking solutions to combat wildfire smoke. Most often, they resort to purchasing an air purifier.
Table of Contents
- In a Hurry? Here’s a Summary of The Best Air Purifiers For Wildfire Smoke!
- Top 6 Air Purifiers For Wildfire Season
- FAQ on Air Purifiers For Wildfire Smoke
- Final Conclusion
Although inhaling a small amount of smoke from a fire may not pose a problem for a healthy person, I believe it’s better to prevent potential health issues. Therefore, it would be advisable to devise a solution to neutralize the smoke in your home.
Smoke from forest fires is unpleasant as it can cause burning eyes and a runny nose. Additionally, inhaling harmful substances can damage the lungs and potentially cause permanent harm.
With the rise of the air purifier market, people have recognized their potential to remove smoke and the opportunities these devices offer. However, purchasing an air purifier is not a straightforward task, and there are several things to consider before making a decision. To begin with, you should ensure that the air purifier uses a certified True HEPA filter or another HEPA filter rated MERV 13 or above.
Why a True HEPA filter?
Because a True HEPA filter neutralizes particles up to 0.3 microns in size, fire particles are usually between 0.4 and 0.7 microns. This article will present my research and detailed suggestions on the best air purifiers you can buy for wildfire smoke.
In a Hurry? Here’s a Summary of The Best Air Purifiers For Wildfire Smoke!
- Alen FLEX – one of the quietest air purifiers on the list, it’s also highly effective at fighting wildfire smoke. I really like that it has a True HEPA filter and, of course, a carbon pellet filter. This filtration technology is most deserving of Alen Flex’s high performance and ability to neutralize smoke as fast as possible.
- Levoit Core 400S – is a smart air purifier designed for rooms up to 403 sq. ft. Levoit uses 3-stage filtration technology, has a True HEPA filter, has advanced options such as an air quality sensor and auto mode, and is the ideal choice in the fight against wildfire smoke.
- Coway Airmega 400 – this air purifier covers large spaces up to 550 sq. ft., uses 3-stage filtration with innovative MAX2 filters, has many advanced options, and is sure to help neutralize wildfire smoke making it a great air purifier for fire season.
- Winix 5500-2 – is an excellent choice for fighting wildfire smoke, especially because it uses highly efficient 4-stage filtration technology. Most importantly, it has a True HEPA filter. This air purifier is ideal for rooms up to 360 sq. ft.
- IQAir HealthPro Plus – is one of the premium air purifiers, is the most expensive model on the list, is designed for rooms up to 470 sq. ft., and uses innovative filtration technology that is only available on IQAir air purifiers. This is another air purifier that will help fight wildfire smoke.
- Levoit Core 200S – as many users are looking for an air purifier for very small spaces, the Levoit Core 200S is just that. It covers rooms up to 183 sq. ft., has many advanced options, and uses high-quality filters.
*If you click any of these links and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Top 6 Air Purifiers For Wildfire Season
The mere fact that you’ve decided to combat wildfire smoke and acknowledged its potential harm to your health is commendable. Specializing in reviewing, testing, and comparing air purifiers, I’m well-versed in their abilities and capabilities, particularly when it comes to neutralizing smoke from fires.
That’s why I’ve compiled a list of the 6 best air purifiers currently available for combating wildfire smoke. Read on to find out which devices are the top performers and why they are the best choices right now.
Alen FLEX – Best Option Overall
Alen FLEX Highlights
- Alen FLEX is an exceptional air purifier designed for rooms up to 300 sq. ft.
- It uses 3-stage filtration technology, has a True HEPA filter, and boasts high-quality carbon pellet-based filters.
- In performance tests, the Alen improved air quality by approximately 94% in a 540 sq. ft. room.
- The Alen FLEX is one of the quietest air purifiers I have had the opportunity to use.
- Alen offers the option of obtaining a lifetime warranty on this model.
Alen FLEX is a modern, reliable, highly efficient air purifier designed for rooms up to 300 sq. ft. This air purifier uses 3-stage filtration and has a True HEPA filter and a pellet-based carbon filter. It is very effective in neutralizing odors, as well as in the fight against wildfire smoke.
On top of that, the Alen FLEX is very quiet, so you’ll be able to use it in your bedroom without any problems. It also needs very little energy to operate and uses long-lasting filters, making it convenient to maintain annually. This air purifier doesn’t have many advanced options, but it has everything you need for smooth everyday use.
Alen FLEX is a well-designed air purifier that fits any ambient. But manufacturers did not only spend time on design and actually create a decent device that can remove wildfire smoke at rapid speed, especially if you use it in a recommended size room.
As the Alen FLEX is one of my favorite air purifiers and one of the ones I have continued to use at home after testing, it is my absolute recommendation to shop for if you want to neutralize wildfire smoke.
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||9-12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||300 sq. ft.|
|In-depth Review||Alen FLEX Review|
Levoit Core 400S – Best Smart Option
Levoit Core 400S Highlights
- The Levoit Core 400S uses a high-efficiency 3-in-1 filter that easily adsorbs fire smoke.
- It is designed for rooms up to 403 sq. ft. and is ideal for a living room, larger bedroom, or similar room.
- Levoit has achieved fantastic results in performance tests in 320 sq. ft. rooms, where it improved air quality by approximately 96%.
- It has many advanced options such as an air quality sensor, auto mode, smart app, etc.
- This air purifier comes with a 2-year warranty.
The Levoit Core 400S is another great and reliable air purifier that has made the list of the best air purifiers you can buy for wildfire smoke. This air purifier uses high-quality three-stage filtration technology consisting of a nylon mesh pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
I like that this air purifier, like the Winix mentioned above, uses a True HEPA filter, which can remove 99.97% of airborne particles larger than 0.3 microns, which is quite enough to combat fire smoke. In addition to high-quality filtration, the Levoit Core 400S is also equipped with many advanced options. The Air Quality Sensor and Auto Mode are my favorite and perhaps even the most important options on this device.
The Air Quality Sensor helps the unit to constantly monitor the current air quality and, if switched to Auto Mode, automatically switches fan speed according to the current air quality. In addition to these options, there’s also the VeSync smart app, timer, display off, air quality indicator, and other valuable options that Levoit offers in this model.
If we compare Levoit with other air purifiers on this list, we can all agree that the modern design allows this air purifier to get its spot in any room. In fact, you can even place it in a visible location where everyone can see your fancy modern device that purifies the air.
The Levoit Core 400S is another high-quality air purifier I recommend if you want to tackle the smoke from forest fires.
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||403 sq. ft.|
|In-depth Review||Levoit Core 400S Review|
Coway Airmega 400 – Extraordinary Performance
Coway Airmega 400 Highlights
- The Coway Airmega 400 is a large air purifier covering rooms up to 550 sq. ft.
- This air purifier uses 3-stage filtration technology consisting of a pre-filter, a Green True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
- It doesn’t use much energy, especially considering the airflow it has, and uses an motor of only 66W.
- It is ideal for large rooms; it can easily remove fire smoke and help you breathe during fire season.
- The Coway Airmega 400 comes with a 5-year warranty.
The Coway Airmega 400 is a slightly larger air purifier covering rooms up to 550 sq. ft. This air purifier will clean the air in a room of these dimensions 4.8 times in one hour. This air purifier, like all of the above, uses high-quality filters, but above all, it has a True HEPA filter, which is undoubtedly the most deserving in the fight against fire smoke. Coway uses a 3-stage filtration technology comprising a pre-filter, a green True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. I really like the fact that the filters in this device, in addition to being very effective, are also very long-lasting, and on average, they will last about 12 months.
Coway uses the innovative MAX2 filter, proven to improve the air in your home. The Coway Airmega 400 is a premium air purifier with advanced features. I like the air quality sensor, auto mode, and ECO mode options.
Coway Airmega is a really powerful device that can pull air from all sides and thus creating a high airflow. Because of excellent airflow, this device can easily be used in large rooms. When fighting wildfire smoke, high airflow is important because it allows the device to filter the air in the room at a rapid rate.
Coway is definitely one of the top choices on the list, and I am sure that if you choose this model, you won’t even feel the fire season.
|Filters||Pre-filter, Green True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||550 sq. ft.|
Winix 5500-2 – Washable Carbon Filter
Winix 5500-2 Highlights
- The Winix 5500-2 uses 4-stage filtration, which is highly effective in fighting wildfire smoke.
- This air purifier fits best in rooms up to 360 sq. ft.
- In performance tests, Winix improved air quality by approximately 96% in a 320 sq. ft. room.
- Winix uses an air quality sensor that detects odors in real-time, which means that the auto mode works perfectly in smoke-polluted environments.
- Winix provides a 2-year warranty on this model.
The Winix 5500-2 is one of the most popular air purifiers on the market. Believe me, it’s not without reason, as it’s also one of the best-rated air purifiers on the Air Purifier First website. I would like to say that the Winix 5500-2 is quite deservedly the best wildfire smoke purifier you can buy.
The Winix uses 4-stage filtration, including a washable pre-filter, activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and PlasmaWave technology. PlasmaWave is essentially an ionizer that is on by default but can be easily switched off by pressing the PlasmaWave button. More importantly, the Winix 5500-2 is CARB certified, which means that it does not produce illegal amounts of ozone and is entirely safe to use.
Winix’s True HEPA filter, which removes 99.97% airborne particles larger than 0.3 microns from the air, is ideal for combating fire smoke. When you add a pellet-based carbon filter, it’s simply impossible not to feel the difference and improvement in air quality with this air purifier.
Did you know?
The Winix 5500-2 is one of the best air purifiers I’ve tested so far, and that’s why it has a place on both the best air purifiers for smoke and best air purifiers for VOCs guides.
By the looks of it, this kind of large device can easily find its spot in any room. Even if you don’t place it in a perfect location, it will still be powerful enough to filter all the air in the room thanks to its powerful motor that can use up to 70W of power at maximum settings.
I would also like to mention that this model has many advanced options such as an air quality sensor, air quality indicator, auto mode, light sensor, remote control, and many other fancy options. The Winix 5500-2 is undoubtedly my top choice to buy if you have a problem with wildfire smoke.
|Filters||Washable Pre-filter, Washable AOC Carbon Filter, and True HEPA Filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 12 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||360 sq. ft.|
|In-depth Review||Winix 5500-2 Review|
IQAir HealthPro Plus – Swiss Quality
IQAir HealthPro Plus Highlights
- The IQAir HealthPro Plus is a huge air purifier designed for rooms up to 470 sq. ft.
- It is a highly reliable, high-quality air purifier with three-stage filtration technology.
- It fights fire smoke without any problems, and after the first use, you will feel a huge difference in the air quality.
- IQAir comes with a very generous 10-year warranty.
The IQAir HealthPro Plus is definitely the biggest air purifier on this list. This model covers rooms up to 470 sq. ft., uses three-stage filtration technology, and is one of the most reliable air purifiers on the market. The three-stage filtration includes the PreMax pre-filter and the V5-Cell MG filter, which aims to neutralize gases and odors. Finally, there’s the HyperHEPA H12/13 filter, which controls fine and ultra-fine particles.
IQAir is known for its own innovative filtration technology (HyperHEPA) that filters particles 100x smaller than 0.3 microns, much smaller than a virus. This air purifier has been on the market for decades, has been adopted by the Swiss, and is listed as the first commercial air purifier on the market. The only complaint I have, apart from the price, for this model is the extremely high power consumption, as this air purifier has an motor that uses a 215W.
IQAir has been recognized in hospitals. Many doctors trust this device and use it in their clinics to combat viruses. Because of its unique patented filtration technology, this device can help combat viruses and smoke all at once.
The IQAir HealthPro Plus belongs to a line of high-end products, which makes it a not-so-affordable device, but it is definitely an air purifier that will help you neutralize fire smoke.
|Filters||PreMax Pre-filter, V5-Cell MG Filter, and HyperHEPA H12/13 Filter|
|Filter Longevity||up to 48 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||470 sq. ft.|
Levoit Core 200S – Great For Small Rooms
Levoit Core 200S Highlights
- I would recommend the Levoit Core 200S for very small spaces, especially as it is designed for rooms up to 183 sq. ft.
- It uses a 3-in-1 filter comprising a nylon mesh pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
- In performance tests in a 194 sq. ft. room, this air purifier improved air quality by an incredible 91%.
- This is the ideal wildfire smoke-fighting air purifier for use in a smaller room.
- Levoit provides a 2-year warranty on this model.
Since I have done the research and talked to many users who need an air purifier during the fire season, many have said they are looking for more devices to install in different rooms. Therefore, there is a high demand for small air purifiers such as the Levoit Core 200S, which covers small spaces and can effectively neutralize wildfire smoke.
The Levoit Core 200S covers rooms up to 183 sq. ft., uses 3-stage filtration, and is one of the best small air purifiers on the market. I really like that this air purifier has a True HEPA filter and a pellet-based carbon filter, which are most responsible for the excellent results it achieved on the performance tests. In addition, the Core 200S is equipped with many advanced options, including the ability to connect to the VeSync smart app.
Sometimes it is best to cover each room with its own device and make a whole home free from wildfire smoke. It may cost you more to cover each room with its own device, but in the end, you will be sure that there is no smoke in your home.
Overall, the Core 200S is the ideal air purifier for fighting smoke fires and ideal for installation in a smaller space.
|Filters||Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter|
|Filter Longevity||6-8 months|
|Coverage (4.8 ACH)||183 sq. ft.|
|In-depth Review||Levoit Core 200S Review|
FAQ on Air Purifiers For Wildfire Smoke
Can an air purifier help with wildfire smoke?
Of course. Air purifiers can not only help remove fire smoke from your home but are also the cheapest and simplest option.
What MERV rating do you need for wildfire smoke?
Filters with a minimum MERV rating of 13 are recommended for wildfire smoke. Therefore, you will only find devices on this list with filters rated MERV 13 or higher. Suppose an air purifier is rated as True HEPA. In that case, it means that it meets the prerequisites and will successfully fight wildfire smoke.
Which is the best air purifier for wildfire smoke?
In my opinion, the Alen FLEX is the best wildfire air purifier you can buy right now. It is an efficient, reliable, and affordable air purifier that will easily clean the air in your room from wildfire smoke.
Can I open a window when it’s fire season?
I do not recommend opening windows when it is fire season! I especially do not recommend opening a window if you use an air purifier in your home, as this can only make the air purification process more difficult.
The effects of fire smoke on our health can be detrimental; therefore, it’s crucial to avoid breathing it in, especially indoors. Achieving a desirable air quality in your home often requires preventing outside air from entering, which can be quite challenging. During fire season, your home’s air is undoubtedly filled with smoke. That’s why I’ve written this article outlining one of the most affordable and simplest methods to eliminate fire smoke from your home – purchasing an air purifier.
After a detailed analysis, review, and comparison of the air purifiers I have tested so far, I have compiled a list of the 6 best ones you can currently buy on the market. However, if I had to single out an air purifier to recommend over the others, it would definitely be the Alen FLEX, which is outstanding in terms of price/quality ratio. Right behind it, I would choose the Coway Airmega 400S, which is also a very efficient and reliable air purifier.
Apart from the two suggested, you won’t go wrong with any other devices on the list of the best air purifiers for wildfire smoke. If you have any questions, I invite you to leave a comment in the comment box below.